Monday, November 10, 2008

Six Quirky Things...

Thanks to a tag from Laurie A.

Six Quirky Things About Me:

1. I love breakfast. Whenever I wake up in the morning the first thing I always do is eat breakfast, otherwise I can't function. I could eat it for every meal of the day, but in the morning it has to be sweet breakfast foods, not savory. I do love a good omelet, but that would have to be a lunch or dinner breakfast.

In the same vein, I also adore cold cereal and am a big fan of mixing my cereals. But there are very definite rules about mixing cereals (sweetened with non-sweetened, etc.) I'd go into it here, but it's pretty ridiculous.

2. I have an unhealthy fear of needles and cannot bear to see skin being pierced. In college, I saw my friend's arm with a needle in it while she was giving blood and I amost passed out. Before travleing abroad, I had to get some vaccinations and my mom had to resort to bribing me to get them because I kep putting it off (I was 19 at the time). She finally went with me to get them and now has scars on her hand from where I dug into it with my nails while they administered the shots. When having Ben, the worst part was getting my I.V. and the epidural. I teared up over the I.V. and flat-out bawled once my epidural was finally in because of my needle anxiety.

3. I can curl my earl inside itself and intertwine my toes like fingers. I didn't think it was that wierd until multiple people commented on it.

4. I hate to wear socks. My younger sister instituted a "Sockless Summer" one year and we tried to see how long into the winter we could continue before succumbing to the cold and finally being forced to cover our feet or hazard frostbite. I think I made it to December or January. Living in Arizona truly was perfect because you could go all year in sandals or flats. Note: Exercising is the exception to the sock rule.

5. I love bargain hunting and saving money. I come from a frugal family and finding deals is sort of a game to me. Whenever I score something for a great price (groceries, clothes, airplane tickets, new tires, a pedicure at the beauty school, etc.) I feel like I've won and beat the capitalist system. Sometimes I'm cheap almost to a fault. I'd rather wear two sweaters or my coat inside or sweat during the summer rather than pay extra in heating/cooling bills. Needless to say, this drives Andy crazy. So we keep it hot or cold during the day and I adjust the temp right before he comes home. So you've been forewarned: If you come over during the winter months, dress warm!

Andy likes to joke that I act like I lived through the Depression, but that hopefully it will make us rich someday. A few years ago I read The Millionaire Next Door and the researchers found that one of the common factors in the millionaire's profiles was wives who were thrifty and managed the household budgets well. It didn't matter how much the family made, it was how they used what they had. So hopefully reuisng all those ziploc bags will pay off in the long run!

6. I love to watch choreographed dancing. Anything from classic musicals to Broadway shows to old-school music videos, I eat it all up. I can't dance very well, but I used to joke that in my former life I was a backup dancer for Britney Spears (before she turned skanky). During college we had access to cable TV for the first time in my life and I rushed home to watch TRL every day at 3:30 p.m. to see the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync and their cool moves.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

I also HATE needles.....even after having a baby still hate them....I am one that has to lie down with orange juice in my hand if I give blood, I always ask for a baby needle....you can imagine the looks I get "c'mon lady you are 27 yrs old, pull yourself together"....still hard for me even after all the looks.

Laurie said...

Curtis can do that thing where he folds his ears in on themselves. When he was growing up he would use that technique to keep at least that body part warm, because like your no-sock rule, he had a no-long-pants rule in high school. Even though it was at times -20 with wind chill in the winter, soccer shorts it was.

Fun quirks, Nollie!

Stacie said...

Nollie, this was so fun to read. Just when I thought I knew EVERYTHING about you..... I learn some new things!

Kindred Family said...

Many interesting points, Nollie. But perhaps the most interesting is that Britney Spears was considered a non-skank once upon a time?! Who knew?

-Steve

Nollie said...

Steve-O,

The pre-skank years were '98-'99. I believe you were in Peru at the time, so perhaps her celebrity didn't quite make it down there until later. :)

Amanda Morgan said...

Again I see why I like you so much! Particularly on 1,3,and 5. In fact, I noticed some ziplock bags drying after you watched my boys and I thought it was because you saw my other recycled bags in the drawer and thought I was crazy. Glad to know it is a mutual craziness.
Obviously, it is on the needle phobia that we likely are the most different- since I think I was the laid back friend that assured the techies they didn't need to cover up the needle while they were working on my drawing. Sorry it almost led to your loss of conciousness. (And she's not exaggerating folks, I really thought she was going to faint.) Though I have to brag on you again, that you did actually donate in spite of your phobia. What a selfless gal!

Jenn Knight said...

This was great... do it again! I already knew these things... I need new info.