Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Desert Island





If you're a fan of The Office, you'll remember the episode where Ryan the Temp accidentally sets off the fire alarms and everyone has to clear out of the building. While people are waiting in the parking lot, Jim starts a game of Desert Island. He names a category and each person has to name their top few picks that they would want to have if they were stranded on a desert island. My favorite part is when asked about what books she'd take, Angela (the extremely conservative, disapproving, school-marmish one) says, "The Bible, A Purpose Driven Life, and The DaVinci Code...So I could burn it."

Anyway, as I opened my mailbox yesterday, giddy with joy to find my new issue of Real Simple magazine, I played Desert Island with myself. If I were stranded on a desert island, what three magazines would I take with me (or that could get dropped to me every month)?

I've come up with this list:

1. InStyle
2. Real Simple
3. The Economist

What magazines would you take? I'm going to copy something that a friend did a while back and ask people who read but don't comment to come out of the shadows and leave a note. I can't wait to see what people like. And don't worry, you are not being judged for your taste in reading material. This coming from the person who reads the back of the cereal box.

14 comments:

Bekka said...

No Star Magazine? Tsk, tsk. It is THE only worthwhile reading out there. Okay, you got me, shoutout to the Ensign.

Bekka said...

For the reals, I'd take:
Instyle
Newsweek
Domino

How cultured of me.

Heather said...

For my cultured choices, hmmm...
1. Family Fun
2. Reader's Digest
3. Photo Techniques

Laurie said...

1. Martha Stewart Living
2. Saveur
3. Elegant Homes/Martha Stewart Weddings (They're both seasonal, so that counts, right?)

I know, I know, I'm feeling a whole lot of guilt because I should be saying the Ensign too, and were I really stuck on a desert island, of COURSE I'd want that to be one of my three but to be honest, I don't know which of my current three (or four) I'd give up...

Noelle said...

That's a hard one, I'm not much into the whole magazine genre. I do, however, read the ensign, so I'll put that one down. I also have fond memories of reader's digest and national geographic. :)

Jenn Knight said...

Hmm... this is a good question...

Do newspapers count? Probably not, b/c you would have put WSJ on yours.

If they do, I would do:
1. New York Times
2. Newsweek
3. Family Fun (not a subscriber now, but will be after my thesis is in hand)

I would have put "Organize" magazine, but since I would be on a desert island, I wouldn't have much use for it, would I?

Kaylee D said...

1. Reader's Digest- several issues if possible.
2. Real Simple- to enjoy its divine aesthetics and organizational amazements.
3. Seventeen- I am, after all, a seventeen-year-old girl, and love a good embarrassing stories column.

kiki comin said...

girl, you know i read up on you and your fantastic blog!..i'd choose...

better homes and garden
creating keepsakes
readers digest

this would keep me entertained for hours!:)

Rikker said...

I think we're lacking enough details to this scenario to make an informed judgment.

Like, are we on a desert island and we only have one issue of each? Or do we continue to get monthly subscriptions.

The second seems more likely, which means that we apparently choose to continue to live on this island, instead of hitching a ride back to civilization with the mailman.

Which brings us to the next important question: is it really a desert island, or a deserted island? I find this term puzzling. Do desert islands even exist? Is that climatologically possible? Because if it were a real desert island, then there's nothing in the terms of the question to prevent us from living in, say, a very nice upscale colony of back-to-the-earth hippies on that island of desert climate. Assuming we get irrigation going, I think I could really start to like it here.

On the other hand, if it's a deserted island, and I suspect this is the case, then we must ask, is this a Tom Hanks in Cast Away desert island, or a Gilligan's Island desert island? Depending on the answer, you might want to subscribe to, say, Better Lean-Tos and Foraging Skills instead of Better Homes and Gardens.

All this is a round about way of saying that I can't answer this question until we properly define the terms. It's like asking us to pick what super power we would want to have. Sure, we're probably all going to pick invisibility, because everyone's a pervert or a crook, or both, but if I chose invisibility and it turned out I could only be invisible when I could be naked, well that's not what I signed up for. Do I still sweat in the sun if I'm invisible? Can I turn objects I'm holding invisible with me? Clearly these are pressing questions.

To sum up, I've decided I'd like the strawberry cheesecake with whip cream. Extra whip cream.

Rikker said...

Oh, yeah. And Nollie! How come you never respond to people's comments? Join the conversation. This isn't a newspaper!

Brittany said...

After much contemplation, we'll say...
1. National Geographic
2. Food and Family (so I can long for something yummy)
3. Entertainment Weekly--I might be on a deserted island but I still have to know what Kfed and B are up to!

Parkside View said...

Nollie,
I don't have a magazine list, I'm just coming "out of the shadows" as you requested. I've been checking out your blog since I discovered it on Steve and Rachel's. Say hello to Andy for me, and if you're interested:

zparks.blogspot.com

Bye for now,
Amber

Mauri said...

He Nollie! I'll admit I have been stalking for a while. checking in on the happenings of the Haws family and the cute things Ben does and says...I suppose I ought to say hello. Its been a while since the good ole USU days..Looks like things are going well for you!! For my magazines:
PEOPLE
Ensign
O Magazine
(A little trash thrown in with a little moral compass...)
Mauri Larsen Winder
mauri.winder@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Newsweek
Entertainment Weekly
Parenting...I'm obsessed with my kid!!