Whose dream isn't to jump out of a time machine in front of a group of unfamiliar children at church and pretend you're Joseph of Egypt from the Bible? That's exactly what Andy got to do at his mom's primary the Sunday after we arrived. She made a time machine out of a refrigerator box and every month invites another "visitor" from scriptural history to come and tell the kids their story. Anyone who knows Andy knows that he is a hesitant performer, but he pulled off the role splendidly. His mom even rented a Coat of Many Colors from a local theater's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I helped Andy put it on and let me tell you, that thing was heavy. I now have a new respect for Donny Osmond.
Andy's mom chose 12 little boys from the group who got to wear scarves on their heads and play Joseph's 11 other brothers. Ben volunteered and scored the coveted role of Benjamin, but got nervous and had to abdicate his part to an understudy. After Andy told the story of Joseph, he opened up the room for questions and Ben regained his courage. His little hand shot up and he blurted out, "DadI really like my seven iron."
If Ben's comment was Greek to you, let me elaborate. Ben got to live his dream when he got his own pint-sized golf bag, seven-iron, and putter and went to the driving range almost every day of our trip. He loved teeing up with Andy, Grandpa Charlie, and Uncle Randy, as well as the soda or Gatorade he got after every trip. He even got to hit the ceremonial first shot of the Randall Cup, Andy's family tournament in Logan, and rode for three holes in the golf cart following the adults.
Hitting off the mats.
Practicing his backswing. Oh, the beautiful mountains in the background. The gorgeous scenery and perfect weather (no humidity!) during our trip made me temporarily pine to live on the Wasatch Front.
I got to live my dream when we were assigned to the first class cabin on our flight home from Denver to Columbus. Not only did I get asked upon entering the plane if I wanted champagne or a mimosa (maybe the steward doesn't know pregnant people aren't supposed to drink), but we also received assiduously attentive service, the the seats were roomy with wonderful back support (vital when you're eight months prego), we enjoyed refreshing hot towels, and noshed on tasty snack boxes during our journey. Oh, to have a taste of how the other half lives. Someday I'd love to fly on one of the super-swanky international carriers (Emirates, Singapore Air, et al) and experience the lie-flat seats or suites on my way to an exotic destination.What's your dream?
Tomorrow: Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters. (Five points if you can name the movie reference). A.K.A The pre-wedding Girls' Night Out.
4 comments:
White Christmas. My sisters and I sing this to each other often...
never had to have a chaperone, no sir.
Love the golf comment during primary - this is a great story to have recorded.
Those mountains are indeed inspiring.
I've been meaning to ask you about your trip! Can't wait to read more.
"I'm here to keep my eye on her...." So what did you have to do to get first class? I've always dreamed about flying that way, oh and I learned what a mimosa was just this week!"
Post a Comment