Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dan Brown Strikes Again

Three cheers for the return of everyone's favorite symbologist. Andy bought the book last night and we just started reading it together, breathless with every twist and turn. Our fingers are crossed that it's as good as the Da Vinci Code and better than Angels and Demons. Anyone else excited about it? Which of the other Robert Langdon books did you read and do you give them cheers or jeers?

5 comments:

Heather said...

Yippee! Can we read it after you're through?

Sarah Walton said...

ooh, I love Dan Brown books. Can't wait to read it!

Thunrada said...

I'm a fan of Dan Brown, too! BTW, would you post more pics of little Lucy? I can't wait to meet her in person!

Katie said...

my brother bought it and i will be reading it next!

Rikker said...

Just finished it. I've read all his books. They're entertaining, but only if you don't really think about it.

Overall this one gets a big fat meh from me. It, like its predecessors, is entertaining for the most part, but also frequently boring, and there's one particularly egregious plot point where a character behaves in a way that is totally illogical, UNLESS that character knows he is in a book and that acting this way will pull the wool over the readers' eyes for a couple of chapters.

But hey, at least now we have another disappointing film adaptation to look forward to.

And I can't forgive Dan Brown his sloppy research on the etymology of the word "sincere". F- for passing off bogus etymology as fact.

Oh, it just occurred to me that part of why I didn't like it was the reader, Paul Michael (I listened to it on audiobook). I've listened to a couple books he's narrated before (Angels & Demons, The Romanov Prophecy). I can't stand his dogawful faux southern accents. They sound just like Foghorn Leghorn. (Listen to act three of this episode of This American Life and you'll hear what I mean.

And finally, this (non-spoilery) commentary had me in stitches.

Now back to my previously scheduled reading: Wide as the Waters.