Monday, October 13, 2008

Andy's Half Marathon

I've been AWOL for most of October, thanks to a fabulous visit from my sisters and mom (see Bekka's post) and spending the past week in Utah watching my girlfriend's boys while she and her hubby were in Hawaii. While we recover from all our adventures (think wrangling three little boys ages 2,3, and 4 prefaced by a week of staying up past midnight every night talking to my sisters) here's some old news that I'm just getting around to blogging about: Andy's first half-marathon. I say first, because we're off to Indianapolis next weekend so he can run another.

Over the past year and a half Andy has undergone a stunning tranformation. He's taken up running and road biking and has lost 35 pounds in the process. He started running during our last few months in Boston and was introduced to roadbiking by some friends here in Ohio. He just needed a little push to get into it after a few years of encouragement from his best college friend who is a fellow biker.

I've always enjoyed exercise as a hobby, a form of stress relief, and a source of valuable alone time. But Andy is fit on a much more serious level. I like to leisurely read while I'm on the elliptical or recumbent bike and think a four mile jog is plenty long. Andy, on the other hand, has done a 60-mile bike ride and decided he would train for the U.S. Air Force Half Marathon, which he ran the last weekend in September. I'm really proud of his efforts and can see the positive effects of all those endorphins coursing through his veins.
Ben waiting at the nine mile mark for Andy to pass.
Andy, immediately after finishing. We didn't get to see him cross the finish line because of the crowds, but caught him after he turned in his shoe chip and got some sustenance in the runner's area.
Ben commandeered Andy's Gatorade post-race. Andy didn't finish in the time he'd hoped, and is determined to do better in Indianapolis. However the race turns out, I'm excited we'll get to see a new city and tour the state capitol building there. :)

5 comments:

merathon said...

nice work, andy! 35 lbs? lets see some before and after pictures. (I actually never realized he had any weight to lose!)

i grew up in plainfield, a suburb on the southwest side of indianapolis. it's a great city, although i doubt i'd even recognize it anymore since my parents moved when i was a senior in highschool, which means it has been 16 years since i lived there!

good luck on the next race, andy, and nollie-- maybe you can run one with him someday???

(i'd love for you to be my co-host on the today show, btw!)

Kindred Family said...

Woo hoo!!! Great job, Ando! Very happy for you. However, I should have warned you about the high positive correlation between body weight and distance off the tee. After 35 lbs, I'll only ask for 4 shots per side now.

-Steve

Stacie said...

Yeah for Andy! I am so excited about his new hobbies. Tell him congrats for me, Nol. It was so fun to see you last week. It made me realize just how freakin much I miss you. It was so fun to talk before I left. When are you coming again? any plans?
well I sure do love you a lot!

Rachel von said...

Congrats on completing such a great goal Andy! I have Nollie to thank for my obsession with running and I am glad you have joined the pack!

Jenn Knight said...

Go, Andy!! That's great! Maybe we'll have an HBS reunion one year at a marathon so we can all run together...